Monday, February 25, 2013

The Underdog Dinner: Warm Salad

Before you go hating on salad for dinner, just know that their will be no soggy or wilted lettuce mentioned anywhere in the recipe. You've been forewarned.

On to better and brighter things. So I've definitely made pesto before, peppered with vibrant sundried tomatoes and almonds slivers. But this time, I opted for a more traditional basil pesto recipe. I have to admit...it was MOST delicious pesto I've ever made (maybe even better than the sundried tomato recipe!?) It's also thicker than the stuff you might get in the store because it's a tad more concentrated and certainly full of flavor!


I was inspired by my sister's friend that was telling about 21-day cleanse she was trying out. Unlike most fab diets, this one seemed to teach you how to really eat healthy, by listening to your body when you do and don't eat certain foods (i.e. more energy when I eat x,y,z!) And while I am totally against dieting, unless it's a lifestyle change and long-term commitment to a particular eating style (maybe impossible for me since I love burgers and the occasional Taco Bell), this cleanse actually striped away certain foods and then reintroduced them later, allowing your body rebuild a natural "portion control" mechanism and adjust to it.

Hmm...just wish I could remember the name of the diet. Oh well! At least I took away something positive from it!

Which leads me to this protein-powered, fiber-filled and gluten free meal! You can certainly make this vegetarian, but y'all know I love my chicken breast. Eat this at room temperature, or warm up leftovers for only a minute or so and...presto! INSTANT MEAL! So low key, just my style. 

Using an ingredient, such as pesto, is an added bonus because it's so versatile and can be repurposed in so many ways...not to mention it saves $$$!


And while I've been an, ahem, possible hater of quinoa, I'm perfecting the flavor and texture of my quinoa each and every time I make it! I mean isn't that the fun of cooking? Making something feel like your very own, impromptu or comfortable to make time and time again? Trust me, people can taste when you make a meal with a full heart and soul and it makes all the difference when cooking. 


Soulful, yet healthy. Simple, yet diverse. A perfect meal for any day. Enjoy!

Warm Chicken Pesto Quinoa Salad


Kneading Sass original 

Ingredients: 
  • 2 or 3 large chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
  • 4 heaping Tbl. basil pesto
  • 1 cup quinoa, cooked to package instructions
  • 2 cups chicken broth, for cooking quinoa
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 red onion, raw and diced OR 1 white onion, diced and cooked 
  • 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced 
  • handful of crumbled fat free feta, use additional as garnish
  • Pine nuts as a garnish
Basil Pesto:
  • 1 bunch of fresh basil, stems cut off and leaves torn
  • 2 tsp. pine nuts, toasted lightly 
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 tsp. grated Parmesan cheese
Directions: 
  1. To make pesto: Literally, I mean literally, throw all the ingredients into the food processor! First, add the garlic (to make sure it gets minced well!), then add your basil and stream in your olive oil, as you pulse the ingredients in the food processor. It will slowly become a green paste, which is perfect! Add salt and pepper to taste. Add a sprinkling of cheese. Toasted pine nuts in a pan for a 2-3 minutes, on medium heat, until slightly browned and fragrant. Dump those into the food processor too and pulse away! Viola! Pesto in a flash :) 
Pulse, pulse, pulse!
    2.  Cook quinoa to package instructions. Most packages say use water, I add a little flavor with chicken broth instead. I simmer my quinoa for the full 15 minutes to ensure that it's fluffy and fully cooked.
   
    3.  Because I used white onions, I sautéed them with olive oil and threw in the mushrooms as peppers as well, just until the onions were a little translucent. I still wanted those peppers to be sweet in crunchy! If you have red onion, just throw them into the cooked quinoa, raw, along with the peppers and mushrooms.


   4.  Add in that heaping teaspoons of pesto
.
   5.  Then add in crumbled feta and mix. 

   6.  Top with additional feta and pine nuts! (optional) Serve warm or room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment