Thursday, November 1, 2012

Poppers perfect for any potluck party

See the alliteration going on here? Yes, I went there. So I am very excited to be ramping up Kneading Sass into a catering service, of sorts! It's all very new, exciting and a bit daunting, but I just have to take it with stride and LOTS of sass. 

So I've been cooking up a storm (ah! Sorry no pun intended, especially with Sandy going on), but I have been in the kitchen a good amount, trying new recipes, perfecting old ones and catering to parties more than 6. (Yikes! I can so do this!)

While I've been pinning to my Kneading Sass Pinterest, yes I am shamelessly plugging myself in my own blog, I stumbled upon this great recipe for jalepenos poppers. Now don't get me wrong, I love the deep fried version of these bad boys, but let's be realistic, with the holidays approaching and numerous parties to help us consume deliciously, decadent finger foods, we are in real danger. I wanted to keep the crisp and bite that makes jalepeno poppers so awesome, without compromising on flavor or texture, BUT skipping out on the grease and fat. 

The trick, wonton papers people! Anything wrapped in wonton paper is instantly presentable and gourmet. So let's take this sloppy popper and turn into delicate appetizer, with all the flavor, heat and gooey goodness of the real thing. 

Baked Wonton Jalepeno Poppers


Prior to baking, wrapped and ready to go!
Used my handy Silpat here, baked these bad boys. Next try, I want to try pan frying them!
Adapted from Heart Mind & Seoul

Ingredients:

  • 1 can (4 oz.) diced jalepenos 
  • 1 package (8 oz.) light cream cheese
  • a few handfuls of Mexican blend shredded cheese
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • olive oil or cooking spray, such as Pam
  • cookie sheet, lightly greased
  • 1/2 package (about 28) wonton wrappers
Directions
  1. Combine cream cheese, jalapeno peppers, and spices in a small bowl and mix well. 
  2. Place a spoonful of the mixture in the center of wonton wrapper. Wet all edges of the wrapper using fingertips. (Wet your fingertips with water.) Roll gently and seal.
  3. Spray the prepared wontons with cooking spray and bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes, or until the wrappers are golden brown.
  4. Serve with sweet chili sauce. This recipe can be easily doubled, using all of the wonton wrappers. I plan on trying this recipe again, this time pan frying the second batch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment