Friday, November 16, 2012

Sometimes You've Got To Try S'more

Well Oreo and marshallow sounded like a dream pairing to me, heaven in a cupcake! I was eager to try baking these ooey, gooey, decadent, triple chocolate chip cupcakes, until I realized something terrible had gone wrong. And so I learned a quite a few things about baking with marshmallows (trust me, they are tricky buggers!):

1. Placing a marshmallow in the middle of a cupcake liner makes it pretty difficult to fill the rest of the cupcake with batter. If your batter is thin, consider yourself lucky; if it's on the thicker side, using your fingers is a must.

2. Leave these cupcakes (and perhaps other recipes containing marshmallow) in the over for a tad bit longer, and your marshmallow with evaporate completely! WOMP! (sorry for those few that won't be biting into a s'more surprise!) Luckily, there is a ton of chocolate so you'll get a nice sugar rush still.

3. Expect the marshmallow to overflow a bit, it's not you, it's the marshmallow. Better to undercook these guys than overcook them. Take a look at Batch #2, undercooking actually can lead to a caved in cupcake and some cracking.

Note to self: NEVER buy cupcake liners for Crate & Barrel! They are cheap, cake sticks to the them no matter what, so you must gnaw at your cupcake with your teeth like a barbarian!

I'd like to remake these cupcakes again someday, as they certainly did not turn out the way I expected them too, but the s'more you learn the s'more you know, right?! Yes, I took this s'more thing out of hand, apologies.

Moral of this mishap: Try making these again!

Below a recap, in photos, of the s'more catastrophe, recipe is linked above and here:

Evaporated marshmallow center
Batch #2, a little undercooked, but definitely on to something here!
Caving and cracking, baking is truly a science to be mastered!
Cheap cupcake liners do this.  
See the surprise...
And now you don't! Cupcakes should come out easily, like this one
I'll definitely need to try this recipe again, this time using different liners and adjusting the amount of time they bake in the over (perhaps, also the temperature?)

One day I'll find my baking sweet spot with this one...until then, I'll just have to keep trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment