Monday, August 4, 2014

Easy Jammin': Homemade Fig Preserves for Everyday Eating

Every time I walk into a speciality foods store I am inundated with adorable jars of jams, preserves and spreads. But sometimes the flavor just isn't there! Too sweet, the consistency isn't right, I am all about taking short cuts when cooking, but making your preserve is so easy and quick, you'll think I'm kidding! Except that I'm not...

I had some figs in my fridge getting a little too soft to serve in salad or along side some meats and cheese, so cooking them down was my only option rather than tossing them in the trash. Now figs are pretty seasonal, so making a jam or preserve is an awesome way to keep those fruits you love and crave, in your cupboard, all-year round.


I'd NEVER made my own preserve...can you believe it?! Such a simple condiment with potential to get jazzed up or stay true to it's fruit, it's a shame it took me this long to venture it my own jamming. It's, by far, one of the easiest things I've made in under 30 minutes. The results were pretty delicious.


The shelf life of this jam is like any other natural preserve or jam you might buy, just note that once you open that bad boy up, you'll need to store it in the fridge. Otherwise, it could literally last months, well that is if you don't gobble it all up! It's honestly a great gift idea...  if you are going to someone's home and want to bring something with a homemade touch, or something to give away for the holidays, jams and preserves are excellent gift given it's longevity on the shelf. 

So I had mine the next day for breakfast on some toast with a bit of goat cheese! I couldn't resist! Make it savory, or keep things sweet, this jam isn't overpowering in sweetness but the flavor is BIG, so a little can go a long way.

Balsamic and Cardamom Fig Preserves

Ingredients:
  • 16 oz. of figs, washed and quartered
  • 1 Tbl. honey
  • 1 Tbl. balsamic vinegar
  • Lemon zest to taste
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
  • Canning jar (cleaned!) - think small mason jar with a lid
Directions: 

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash and trim the ends of your figs. Cut them into quarters and place them in a baking dish.


2. Add honey, lemon zest, balsamic vinegar and cardamom to figs. Toss the figs in your dish to evenly coat.

3. Let the fruits cook and soften in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the natural liquids of the fruit and other ingredients surrounds your baking dish.


4. Let figs cool for about 3-5 minutes before blending in a food processor.

5. In a food processor, or blender (I used my ninja!), mix your figs for about 1-2 straight. You'll see the seeds still intact, but for a smooth and less chunky preserve, blend on high speed for at least 1 1/2 minutes in your processor or blender.


6. Using a spatula, spoon your fig preserves into a clean jar. NOTE: Place a mason jar and lid in your dishwasher to sanitize it; it should be dry with no water in it to prevent any molding. 

7. Fill your jar up to the top and wait for jam to cool at room temp before putting a lid on it.


8. Once you break open your preserves, be sure you place it in the fridge after use and avoid getting any water or using a dirty knife with other foods on it to keep your preserves lasting longer and staying fresh! This recipe makes one 6 oz. jar of preserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment