Monday, April 15, 2013

A Hearty Lasagna...That's Gluten Free AND Vegetarian?! Say It Ain't So...

Oh but it IS! Yes, I made a quinoa "lasagna"! And while it didn't really hold the shape of a normal lasagna, it's better than any lasagna I've ever attempted, as I am the ultimate ruiner of this sacred, staple dinner dish for many Americans (and maybe Italians!?).

I even implemented a little here in there, as it was Sunday night and I was in no mood to run to the grocery store. So I got resourceful and made a few tweaks and it came out delicious!


Hearty, flavorful, satisfying...it's everything you want in a lasagna and any Italian comfort dish, really, but without the mounds of cheese, carb overloading and unsavory heaviness.

Did I mention that my kitchen is nearly finished?! Hell, yeah I used that island to prep and make DESSERT alongside my main dish. Oh this was all after several hours (and days!) of IKEA hell, putting together flimsy (but affordable) furniture. Alas, a little cooking and baking really made my Sunday just that much better. A few snapshots of the fruits of my other labor...IKEA furniture!

I have more shoes than pictured above...yikes!
Was too tired from the night before to assemble this lone bar stool!
 I was also itching to bake something posted by the famed Smitten Kitchen, making her oh so fluffy and light grapefruit yogurt loaf has been on my to-do for weeks!


My new kitchen island is now my Instagram studio :)
I digress. I love this dish and want to keep improving the recipe, because you can literally add anything and everything to it, but the kitchen sink!

Enjoy with a glass of red...well, that's what I did :)

Vegetarian Quinoa Lasgana


adapted from EatingWell

Ingredients: 

  • 1 cup quinoa, cooked to package instructions
  • 2 zucchinis, sliced
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 cup spinach leaves
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 cups of your favorite tomato sauce ( I only had vodka sauce, ha! It was pretty amazing, but a bit heavier than tomato sauce)
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 cup cottage cheese
  • Sprinkle of Parmesan and shredded mozzarella cheese
  • Pepper to taste
  • Olive oil
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease casserole dish with cooking spray or a bit of olive oil. Set aside.
2.  Prepared quinoa to package instructions, set aside for assembling later. 
3.  In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbl. olive oil on medium heat and add diced onions. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until translucent and soft. Add in mushrooms and zucchini and cook for additional 4-5 minutes until all of the vegetables are soft. 



4.  In a saucepan, heat up 2 cups of sauce and add dried herbs, garlic and pepper. Heat until sauce is warm. 


5. Begin assembling your lasagna!
6. In the oiled casserole dish, layer all of the qunioa and smooth out with the back of your spoon. 


7. Add 1/3 of the sauce (eyeball this, it doesn't have to be perfect!) and smooth evenly as well. 
8. Next, add your cooked veggies and cottage cheese. 


9. Then top with another 1/3 of sauce, spread evenly. 
10. Add spinach and top with remaining sauce. Sprinkle about 1/4 cup grated Parmesan and 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella.

11. Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes, or until cheese on top is melted and slightly browned. Let stand for 10 minutes to let all the ingredients set, before serving! Serves about 6-8 really hungry people.

No comments:

Post a Comment