Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Mastering the Turkey Burger

Seriously, who really thought that adding vegetables would keep ground turkey moist?! If you have some finicky eaters in your household, trust me they won't notice. Plus if you melt a slice of gouda on top and then stick it under the broiler like I did, then they really, won't even question what's in this heaven-sent burger.


Oh did I mention that this burger is only 300 calories!? GOD, I love burgers, like seriously, why do I love mac n cheese and burgers...the two most unhealthy American favorites, and I can eat them on any given day. This burger give me an excuse to eat burgers every week, like every Tuesday!?

Move over taco Tuesday, I'll have a turkey burger with my skinny margarita, thank you very much!

But seriously, I knew that adding some sauteed onions would liven up a turkey burger or at the very least, revive it from it's death due to overcooking (as I tend to overcook poultry more often than I like to admit!)

But adding water-logged vegetables like zucchini and carrots, your burger will retain its moisture and add body, making it nice and pump! These colorful veggies also add a bit of sweetness, which is better than nothing, since we all know turkey to be a rather bland bird.

A few dashes of spices here and there, slather on some of your favorite cheese or gourmet spread...and you've got the best turkey burger EVER! I cannot wait to put a little goat cheese on this tomorrow and eat it "naked" (no bun, silly...) for lunch!

Broiled Zucchini and Carrot Turkey Burger

Adapted from Real Simple Magazine

Ingredients: 
  • 1 lb. lean, ground turkey
  • 1 carrot, peeled and grated
  • 1 zucchini, grated
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, grated
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 egg
  • Olive oil
Directions:
  1. Grate carrot, zucchini and garlic into a large bowl. 
  2. Add in ground turkey, egg and spices. Mix well with your hands until the vegetables and turkey are incorporated well.
  3. Using your hands, form turkey patties and set aside.
  4. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat. Carefully place patties in oil and let each side cooked for 4-5 minutes each until the middle of the patty gradually becomes less pink.




5.  Transfer patties to a baking sheet and place them under your broiler for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
6.  I added gouda slices in the last minute of broiling time to get it bubbly! Topped it off with some dijon, alf alfa sprouts and avocado. This recipe makes 4 large patties or 6 small patties. 

No comments:

Post a Comment