Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Redo Remix: This is the BEST Mac n Cheese, slightly amended version

So I felt like my attempt at the "best mac n cheese" was such a failure, the only thing I could do to make it right is to make it ALL over again! Guess what!?! I felt amazing about it after! In fact, I got several compliments on its, light yet creamy texture...all I gotta say is #winningwithgoatcheese.

I wrote a pretty, detailed, list of what I would do differently and I followed it to the tee, making sure to half the recipe (yes, I even used a calculator to make sure I know what half of 1/3 really was). 

A few changes I made included: omitting broccoli, using regular pasta instead of whole grain, leaving out the dried thyme, using less breadcrumb topping, sticking with just white cheddar, amongst other mishaps I redeemed myself from. It felt great, like I made the BEST mac n cheese....I think this could be a side dish winner for this year's Thanksgiving feasting.

Seriously, maybe it was my ego, but I sighed a, big, sigh of relief when this recipe gone wrong,  went right and turned out fabulously. 

Although I have the original recipe on this site, I wanted to add the amended version, in which I HIGHLY, recommend you try instead! 


Ingredients: 
  • 6 oz package of center cut bacon ( 1/2 package)
  • 1 box shell or elbow macaroni (cooking until just al-dente, or 2-3 suggested cooking time)
  • 2 3/4 cups of whole milk, warmed until warm (VERY IMPORTANT STEP!)
  • 1 1/2 tbs unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 6 oz shredded sharp white cheddar, divided
  • 4 oz herb goat cheese of your choice ( I used a brand called Cypress Grove, its pretty mild, especially since I'm not using any thyme in this recipe)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup seasoned Italian Panko breadcrumbs
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter or spray casserole dish and set aside.
  2. Boil pasta to directions specifications, shaving 2-3 minutes off of suggested time. Drain pasta and set aside.
  3. While pasta is boiling, in a shallow skillet (this is where we will be making our cheesy sauce) cook half package of bacon, until crispy. Set aside cooked bacon on a plate covered with paper towel and let oil drain, then cut into small pieces, when cooled.
  4. Saved about 1 -  11/2 tbs of bacon fat, throw the rest away. In the same skillet, melt butter in medium heat. Slowly whisk in flour, about 1 minute, until thick and well-incorporated with the butter. 
  5. Add warm milk and begin to whisk flour, butter and bacon fat on medium high heat until this mixture, or roux, thickens and begins to bubble (this takes about 3-4 minutes). 
  6. Remove roux from heat and add dry mustard, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Add in 3/4 of white cheddar, reserving the rest of the cheese for pre-breadcrumb topping. Add in total amount of goat cheese and parmesan. Mix until cheeses are melted completely. The sauce should be soupy at this point. Add pieces of bacon. 
  7. Stir in cooked pasta to the sauce and mix well. Transfer to greased casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining white cheddar and 1/4 cup of Panko breadcrumbs. 
  8. Place in oven for 25 minutes. Make sure breadcrumbs are browning but not burning. Bake for an additional 5 minutes with foil cover if breadcrumbs are not browning. Serve immediately or eat leftovers for a week like me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment