Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The cookie sheet--a gateway to baking

DISCLAIMER: I finally made some cucpcakes for the 4th of July, red velvet to be exact ( I mean I know the recipe like the back of my hand!) Nothing screams "HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA" like some good, old-fashioned red velvet (insert Paula Deen twang here). Sorry, they were devoured before I could take a decent photo...


But let's celebrate the fact that I, finally, used my Silpat yesterday. I baked some simple and surprisingly light, stuffed mushrooms. They complimented my grilled chicken well and would be certainly light enough along side a beef dish as well. Portobello mushrooms, which are often the mushroom of choice for stuffing, are very hearty and have a meaty texture. They are great for main dishes if you are a vegetarian, but I think these mushrooms, as a side, make more sense with your protein. With that said, I've made a variety of stuffed mushrooms dishes, but this seems to be least labor intensive, with practical ingredients that many people usually have on hand, and packs some real heat! Never underestimate the power of Tapatio, it's got a vinegar-y kick if you use enough of it. 


So this is from Pioneer Woman's blog. She's become quite famous and I can see. She's unpretentious and got some twang and sass that people can't get enough of. In fact, rumor has it, she getting a show on The Food Network, and they actually describe her as sassy...I mean LOOK at that red hair, I don't what's sassier?! Well, I'd like to think that these stuffed  mushrooms, adapted from the Pioneer Woman's spicy stuffed mushroom recipe, channeled some sass. Also, I'd like to point out how subtly, tacky her blog theme is. It shows she humble, down to earth and honest-to-god, damn good cook! Or maybe I'm just reading into her circa 1989 blog, just a little too much. Either way it's super garish and I love it.


Below is the modified (I always do this!) version of her recipe. Whatever is in parenthesis is what's in the original recipe, I clearly improvised with what I had and made something equally as delicious!

Stuffed Mushrooms with a Dash of Sass

My first Silpat creation, cheesy, spicy and deliciously, light.
adapted from Pioneer Woman


Ingredients:

  • 24 oz. white mushrooms
  • 1 tbs. olive oil
  • 1 tbs. butter
  • half of a white onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
  • salt and black pepper to taste
  • 8 oz. low fat ricotta cheese (or 8 oz. weight cream cheese, softened)
  • 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese ( had some deli slices on hand, so I ripped two of those up instead. See how I'm improvising here!)
  • 1/2 cup Grated Monterey Jack Or Farmer's Cheese
  • a handful of fresh spinach leaves (or 1 package (small) chopped spinach, thawed)
  • a few dashes dashes of Tapatio (or Choulula)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Wash and dry mushrooms. Pull the stems off the mushrooms, then chop the stems finely. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and chopped mushrooms stems and saute for several minutes, or until soft and starting to turn golden. Add panko crumbs, salt, and pepper. Stir and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
In a large bowl, add ricotta cheese, grated cheeses, and the cooled mushroom/onion/panko mixture. Fold together to combine. Rip or chop spinach, add to bowl, alongside a dash of salt, a little pepper, and hot sauce to taste. Fold together until combined.
Using a spoon, mound the mixture into the stemmed mushroom caps. Use the spoon to round the mixture on top. Don't be afraid if the filling isn't really fitting, overflowing is fine! Place on a baking sheet or in a baking dish and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the mushrooms are cooked and the filling is hot. Serve immediately or at room temperature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment