Wednesday, June 13, 2012

What the heck is a Silpat anyway?

I vividly remember watching Martha Stewart rave about and eventually introduce the Silpat into my life. Disclaimer, I don't own a Silpat yet, but I swear, this weekend, I'm going to Sur La Table and buying a couple of those bad boys. 
Made in France, of course it would be!



Again, so what the heck is a Silpat?? Basically, it's a non-stick baking mat that prevents the burning or sticking of baked goods onto your beloved cookie sheets. It seems like a godsend...yet I don't have one? Sometimes avid bakers, such as myself, get caught up in the, expensive, gadgets, ad nonsensical frills that come along with baking! I mean a lime grater?! Who really needs one of those? And yet I am wide-eyed and  practically drooling in places like William & Sonoma, Bed Bath & Beyond, Sur La Table, Crate and Barrell... well you get it. And for that very reason, I have a hand-me-down, hand mixer, instead of a standing mixer. But I digress...investing in a handful of quality, long-term use, tools and gadgetry is a must for an everyday, week...okay once a month, baker. 
The List:

  • hand mixer (or standing mixer, if you can afford one!)
  • measuring cups/spoons
  • mixing bowl
  • spatula
  • muffin tin
  • cake pan
  • at least 2 cookie sheets (can be used for a wide variety of baking, not just sweets but anything)
  • pastry bags/plastic tips (these can be disposable and/or $10 or less! Gives those cupcakes a little something special, great for filling cupcakes as well.)
  • silpat (or parchment paper for the time being)
  • wire rack

So besides being a blasphemous baker, by not owning a Silpat, I also do not own a wire rack for cooling cookies, cupcakes and all/any baked goods! Really, who am I!?! So I recently, fancied, this gem of a wire cooling rack. It allows for me to mass bake (thus, mass cool), in a space saving and efficient manner. 


GENIUS! A stacked cooling rack. I MUST HAVE. So I bought it :) And so should you! It's practical and slightly trendy, totally a win/win situation here. 



No comments:

Post a Comment